- This event has passed.
Peoples Climate Movement-Bay Area April 29th Lake Merritt, Oakland
April 3 @ 11:00 am - 5:00 pm| Free
ON APRIL 29, WE TAKE ACTION FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS
We invite you to join the Peoples Climate Movement-Bay Area in Oakland on Saturday, April 29 to:
- Advance solutions to the climate crisis rooted in racial, social and economic justice and committed to protecting front-line communities and workers.
- Protect our right to clean air, water, land, healthy communities and a world at peace.
- Immediately stop attacks on immigrants, communities of color, indigenous and tribal people and lands and workers.
- Ensure public funds and investments create good paying jobs that provide a family-sustaining wage and benefits and preserve workers’ rights, including the right to unionize.
- Fund investments in our communities, people and environment to transition to a new clean and renewable energy economy that works for all.
- Protect our basic rights to a free press, protest and free speech.
- Demilitarize U.S. foreign policy, reduce military spending and shift budget priorities to meet urgent social needs.
Join us on April 29 as we come together to resist and take action for our families, our communities and our planet today and for generations to come.
For justice, jobs, peace and planet,
Peoples Climate Movement-Bay Area
REJECT THE TRUMP AGENDA – DEFEND THE ENVIRONMENT – ADVOCATE FOR OUR COMMUNITIES – BUILD A JUST, SUSTAINABLE FUTURE FOR US ALL
On April 29, come to the Lake for a family-friendly event which will feature local community members, climate activists, musical and spoken word performances, climate scientists, information booths, and a variety of hands-on activities for all ages. Then link hands around our Lake. Spread the word, we need everyone to show up!
BACKGROUND: The coalition of organizations that sponsored the hugely successful 2014 People’s Climate March in NYC has issued a call for one massive march to bring our demands to the streets of Washington, D.C. While the emphasis is getting the largest possible turnout in the Capitol on April 29th, all over the country there will be sister marches.
We’re having a local event that must be large and reflect the interests of all the constituencies impacted by the Trump agenda – the environment, racism and Islamophobia, sexism, homophobia, immigrant and Native American rights, jobs and workers rights, housing, food security, healthcare, education, peace and military spending, police violence and civil liberties, and other urgent social needs.
In the Bay Area, we will be having a massive rally at the Lake Merritt Amphitheater in Oakland, we will have activities spread out on the grass, & we’ll conclude with a procession around the lake. We are trying to join hands around the entire lake. What a statement that would make to send an image of hands around all of Lake Merritt out to the world! If you’ve ever wondered if your presence at a rally really matters, well, it does at this one. To do this, we need each & every person, & we need you to commit to bringing at least 5 friends/family members/housemates with you!
We need to stand up and take action to protect everything and everyone we love. Pledge to be a part of the resistance. There is no denying it: Donald Trump’s election is a threat to the future of our planet, the safety of our communities, and the health of our families. If the policies he proposed on the campaign trail are implemented, they will destroy our climate, decimate our jobs and livelihoods, and undermine the civil rights and liberties won in many hard fought battles. It’s up to us to stop that from happening.
We will not allow climate deniers to threaten the planet. We will not allow attacks on immigrants, communities of color, women, LGBTQ and workers to become the new normal.
WE WILL RESIST.