- This event has passed.
CALIFORNIA ENVIRONMENTAL JUSTICE COALITION BAY AREA/NORTHERN CALIFORNIA REGIONAL STRATEGY CONFERENCE
March 25 @ 9:00 am - 5:00 pm| Free
ATTEND THE CALIFORNIA ENVIRONMENTAL JUSTICE COALITION BAY AREA/NORTHERN CALIFORNIA REGIONAL STRATEGY CONFERENCE
Saturday, March 25th 2017 * 9 am to 5 pm (breakfast and networking at 8:30) Location: Local 2 @ 209 Golden Gate Avenue, San Francisco –(corner of Leavenworth – near Civic Center BART/Muni station – look for CEJC sign on door)
The CEJC regional conference is an urgent call to action to escalate the fight for environmental and climate justice as we resist the attacks by Trump and his gang of polluters and billionaires who want to dismantle environmental laws and the EPA so they can increase pollution of our communities and planet. Let’s get together to strategize, organize and mobilize!
The California Environmental Justice Coalition takes action to bring about systemic change in industry and government policies and practices to protect health and promote justice and resilient communities by uncompromisingly following the Principles of Environmental Justice; promoting unity and solidarity; using community-based knowledge; and strengthening community leadership. Led by people of color and low-income communities, CEJC is a broad, inclusive, grassroots statewide coalition of small and large groups uniting urban, rural and indigenous communities in resistance against environmental racism and injustice, and committed to environmental, social, and economic justice.
(limited travel scholarships are available based on need to help folks coming from out of the bay area attend- submit your request when you register online)
For more information on CEJC and the regional conferences around the state, contact CEJC Coordinator Tom Helme firstname.lastname@example.org
8:30 – 9:30 am Breakfast and Networking
9:30 am Welcome
* Agenda review
* CEJC history, mission statement, current campaigns
10 am Who Is In the Room! One minute introductions
11 am Discussion of regional and statewide coalition goals, especially in light of the Trump Administration
12 noon – Lunch and networking
– Youth Caucus
1 – 2:15 pm Trainings:
- Action planning
- Media (mainstream media and social media)
- How to use civil rights administrative complaints (state and federal)
2:30 Strategy Sessions:
- Climate Justice – developing and expanding CEJC’s work on climate justice issues including crude oil by rail and pipelines, refineries, local municipality use of energy from mega-solar plants destroying the desert environment and indigenous sites, EPA’s Clean Power Plan, fracking, discussing possible formal CEJC position on Cap and Trade
- Campaign to reform and improve the state Department of Toxic Substances Control
- Indigenous peoples, land and sacred site issues
- Toxic and radioactive contamination site cleanup issues on federal, military and local community sites
- Option for additional strategy sessions depending on participant interest
4 pm Report back from strategy sessions
4:45 pm Discussion and Next Steps
5:30 Wrap up…Onwards! Adelante!
6 pm Dinner get-together nearby